pics from our trip...

The first day after arriving in Baltimore ... after registering for the History Fair...We drove to DC. Sister Galloway was behind the wheel and I was behind the map. Works great for me ;) We very first went to Arlington National Cemetary. Row upon row of headstones made it quite humbling. The place is huge and if you are away from the crowds for a minute, it can be quite peaceful.

You are no longer able to drive within Arlington so we had to walk to see everything. We saw the JFK headstones and the Eternal Flame. This picture was taken from that spot of the cemetary...looking across the Potomac to the Naational Mall. It took about 15 to 20 minutes to walk up there. And it was up a hill...not a good opening for all the walking that we would do for the week, but I'm glad we did that first!

We also walked over to the tomb of the unknown soldier and were able to see the changing of the guards. It took an additional 20 minutes or so to walk over that direction. We arrived just a little before the guards were to change. So precise in how it is done. I pointed out the marks on the cement where the guards stand, turn, click and salute. Time after time again...there was no room for variation. I found this part of the day to be quite interesting. A reminder of what a great nation we live in and how so many people have fought to keep it that way.

1 Comments:
I needed to see those pictures today T to remind me of what its all about. I hope you had fun.
Post a Comment
<< Home