the next day...

Monday morning was the reason we actually came to DC. History Day competition. Their time was at 1:20. The kids practiced and practiced and practiced some more. They knew their lines over under and backwards. I was so nervous for them. They were very confident. The judges came in to the room; they did their group performance. Then the judges asked questions...all of the sudden they were like deer in the headlights. They knew the material but as they answered it just didn't come out the right way. But then they were done. Relief for all :)
We drove back to DC to see the monuments - Lincoln, Washington, WWII & Vietnam. We were very lucky to get a great parking spot this day. Still involved alot of walking, but it didn't seem so bad this time.


We went to the Lincoln Memorial first. Very busy, but very big :) Inspiring once again to be reminded of the great founding fathers and their contributions to our great nation. We took some time to just take it all in. A huge room with such a large statue. I wish we didn't have to rush around so much. I wish we would have taken some time to just be there..not feeling like we had to move along to the next place.

We then walked over to the Vietnam Memorial. Thousands upon thousands of names. I tried to make an impression upon Chelsea of the sheer number of people that this represented. Humbling and feeling very grateful once again. I had been here before, but it struck me differently this time. I guess that is what time and understanding will do.

More walking to the WWII memorial. To me, it looked like a big Greek swimming area. Very peaceful and calming, though. The weather was perfect...the sun was beginning to go down and the lighting was golden. Chelsea was enjoying hanging out with the boys ;)

Next to the Washington Monument. Unfortunately, we never got tickets to go up to the top, but it was still an impressive sight. We could see the Capitol, and the White House and look back along the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial.

This evening was, by far, my most favorite part of the trip.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home