american history museum...
This was our next stop. This place was absolutely huge! We had a hard time decideing where to even start. So, we went to the overpriced cafeteria and had a very overpriced lunch! :) 
As you walked into the museum, there is display of the flag that hung on the pentegon after the 9/11 attacks. It is gigantic. Much bigger than I had ever thought. We stood there for quite a while just looking at it. I tried my best not to tear up or cry. It was very thought provoking to see it.

Off to the left of the main entrance is this display of a sunstone from the Nauvoo temple. As we were walking by, I noticed a group of about 8 or so people. Very obviously LDS, plus they were taking pictures next to the display. The only people that seemed to care about this display were the Mormons. I went up to ask them if they were LDS and where they were from. One family was from Lehi and the other from Sandy. It was kind of funny. It was here that the difference in appearance was made obvious. Every LDS family that stopped to look and read about the sunstone had a distinct look about them. They looked neat and clean and were dressed in modest clothing. We figuresd that anything went wrong and you needed to find a member of the church for something like a blessing, that you could just wait by the sunstone and someone from the church would be there sonner or later! ;)

We stopped for a second to look at Judy Garland's shoes from the Wizar of Oz. I remember seeing these when I was at the museum twenty-ish years ago :)

And one of the funniest displays we saw was depeicting the 50's. There was a mock-up of a bomb shelter and displays about recreation and technology back then. But, there was also a mock-up of a 1950's kitchen, dining area and living room. The kitchen looked EXACTLY like the kitchen in our home right now. The formica countertop in the museum is the same exact formica that is on our counters at home!! Our kitchen is old enough to be in the Smithsonian Museum!! We laughed so hard at this. But it is really quite pathetic...
Seriously, we saw so much here and spent hours in the museum. We had a great time together and enjoyed this museum the most.

2 Comments:
What an amazing trip, Teresa! It's been so fun to read your accounts of it!
ROFL I love that your kitchen is "retro" ;O) I am so glad you were able to go what a great thing for you and your daughter to share.
Post a Comment
<< Home